ICA Bioeconomy Committee of the ICA Board
The Bioeconomy encompasses the production of renewable biological resources and the conversion of these resources and waste streams into value added products, as food, feed, bio-based products and bioenergy. Its sectors include agriculture, forestry, fisheries, food and pulp and paper production, as well as parts of the chemical, biotechnological and energy induustries (EU, 2012).
The ICA Board established the ICA Bioeconomy Committee of the ICA Board in 2017 with the following Aims:
- Define ICA as representing the European Life Science Universities in the development of the Bioeconomy at the European level
- Contribute to the implementation of the EU action plan for bioeconomy in education, research and innovation by seeking synergies among ICA members and other EU and international institutions, industries, and networks
The ICA Board at its meeting on 21 October 2020 approved the proposal of the recently established Community of Practice for Bioeconomy Education (CoP Bio-Edu) to become a Committee of the ICA Board, currently it is based within the context of the ICA Bioeconomy Committee.
The ICA-Bioeconomy Committee aims to meet your expectations to
- Exchange best practice
- Share knowledge from different perspectives of the Bioeconomy and the components of the Bioeconomy
- Support degree programme curriculum planning
- Develop a Position Paper outlining the contribution of Life Science Universities to the development of the Bioeconomy
- Represent Life Science Universities at the European level
Professor Josef Gloessl
Chair of ICA-Bioeconomy Committee
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna (BOKU)
Gregor Mendel Strasse 33